August is not the unobservant man’s month, for if someone were to take his attention off the calendar for even a millisecond of these balmy 31 days, he’d surely miss the entire thing. I’ve never experienced an August that wasn’t gone faster than a buzzing mosquito, one second biting hastily at my ankles and the next nothing but a bump under my skin. My plan is to draw this August out for as long as possible. I’ll savor each bite of summer fruit for a few extra moments, and make excuses to wear my favorite maxi dress as many times as possible, laundry permitting. I’ll see all of the summer blockbusters waiting in the theaters and ride the neon trend to its inevitable conclusion (for now). Until the clock chimes September, I’ll be enjoying every fleeting moment of summer and coveting the things that will hopefully carry me into a pleasant fall.
1. A long, relaxing day at the beach, $priceless-before-shipping-&-handling. Everyone and their mother has been sharing gorgeous photos from beach trips for the past few weeks – I want some of that shoreline action! Luckily, I’m headed to gorgeous Block Island for a day trip in a few weeks – even a mere 24 hours filled with sand, adorable shops, and my even more adorable friends will do wonders to prepare me for the long semester ahead!
2. Perfectly wavy, untamed hair, $mostly-priceless. I have naturally wavy hair that tends to have a mind of its own, particularly in the summertime. That said, my natural texture never seems more appropriate than it does in the warmer months – everyone wants that effortlessly undone look right now. With the help of the Sultra Bombshell Curling Iron that I recently picked up on sale, I’m planning to ride my waves through August until they need to be polished up come September. P.S. – ever since I cut sulfates and silicones from my hair arsenal a few months ago, I’ve noticed a huge improvement in manageability. Curly girls – definitely try eliminating them if you’ve got a Ms. Frizzle situation going on (JK, you know I love my Magic School Bus heroine more than anyone).
3. BP. Runway Boots, $89.90. I live in riding boots during the fall (much like every other collegiate woman in the Northeast), but since Ithaca’s early winter weather (meaning October salt, yuck!) usually destroys them by the end of the season, I can never make too much of an investment. These simple BP. beauties are my best bet – they’re functional, come in great colors, and are prettily priced under $100 thanks to Nordstrom’s Anniversary Sale.
4. Ban.do Ahoy Headwrap, $35. I’ve wanted this baby since it first debuted a few months ago. It just screams “Ahoy, there! I look damn good in this headwrap, sailor!” If I’m going to purchase, it has to be now – I mean, will I really be brave enough to rock this overtly nautical look in October? Doubtful – it’s August or bust.
5. Essie Nail Polish in Bobbing for Baubles, $8. Right now I’m all about my grayish blues, the perfect range of colors that steal their hue from mysterious ocean depths. Though this shade is from one of Essie’s winter collections, I think it’s perfectly tinted for the dog days of August.
6. American Fashion Accessories, ed. Candy Pratts Price, $50. I’ve recently become obsessed with accessories: handbags, shoes, belts, and baubles for your hair, neck, ears, and wrist – all of them are just divine. In my current state of add-on fixation, I’d devour this book from stiletto-studded cover to cover.
7. Shoshanna Alyce Pleated Dress, $360. The curve-hugging silhouette of this Shoshanna number certainly doesn’t underwhelm despite its clean lines and simplicity. Truthfully, it didn’t have to be this dress that made the cut, since I’m hopelessly in love with every one of the brand’s creations. Then again, you know how I feel about gray-blues for August, so maybe this was just a match made in sartorial heaven.
What do you want in August? How are you planning to savor the next 31 days?